Tuesday, April 1, 2008

week 5- social networks and user generated content

Sorry it's been awhile guys, had a bit of technical difficulty, but I'm back now!!!!!!!

Here's a few of my personal view points on some of the topics that came up in week 5. My following thoughts are in regards to authority and what sites people deem more authentic then others.

WIKIPEDIA VERSUS BRITANNICA
I have used both sites in the past and find them both extremely helpful. But i am still a skeptic about the content on wikipedia because as we found out in class anyone could write things on it and how are we users suppose to know who the authors are. I put this opinion and feeling also down to the fact that Britannica also comes in the book form and there is the ideology in society that the written word of a book is true and authentic. And thats exactly the ideology that i personally belief in. Whether it is true or not, the idea in my head about britannica authors are that they are scholars, with a vast range of knowledge, with phds, or masters degrees. And that idea and image of these authors make me more comfortable using sites like britannica because i feel they are more truthful.

How do you guys feel?

1 comment:

theshiftbutton said...

I feel wonderful thank u!!!

Nah jst kidding,

I feel about the sames... I like looking on wikipedia for the basis of my research and tend to move on from there... But I would never use Wikipedia as a primary. Unless of course I am pulling the almighty and fantastic all nighter from when I have waited till the last minuto!!

But interesting read.. thanks for putting it up! ;)